CLOSE
Awarded to
,

2020 Virtual Annual General Meeting

18 Aug 2020

We held a very successful and popular online AGM on Friday July 31

more

Adult Recognition Awards 2020

01 Aug 2020

Scouts Australia (SA Branch) would like to recognise the outstanding achievement and contributions to the Scouting Movement, of Leaders and Supporters of Scouting who have been awarded Adult Recognition Awards on 1 August.

more

Scouts SA Virtual AGM

31 Jul 2020

Our 2020 virtual AGM is available on our YouTube Channel

more

Free Fun Home Delivered

06 Jul 2020

Free Fun is a new Scouts SA initiative to provide the community with some 'learning by doing' experiences full of fun and adventure.

more

Join Scouts 2020

10 Dec 2019

Vacancies exist for Scouting in 2020! Come and join in our adventure!

more

 
Glen Osmond Scouts and Cubs about 1926

The beginning at Glen Osmond

1907  Robert Baden-Powell (BP) published "Scouting for Boys"
1909 Nov An article in "The Advertiser" announced a meeting at St Saviour's Anglican Church to form a Glen Osmond Scout Troop.  So Scouting at Glen Osmond started. It was first registered with the British Boy Scouts Association.
1913 Glen Osmond Scout Troop joined what is now Scouts Australia (SA Branch).
1914-1918 During the first World War, the Troop continued meetings even though all the leaders had signed up for military service.
prior 1924 Some meetings were held at the Glen Osmond Baptist Church Hall.
1924 Elizabeth Fraser allowed a Scout Hut to be built on her land "Ridge Park" at the current Scout Hall site.
1927 Nov That land was sold to Unley Council to create the Ridge Park recreation open space. Our hall site reserved by 99 year lease as part of the deal.
1939-1945 Again, as leaders and older scouts signed up for military service, the Scout Group continued to meet with older youths acting in place of leaders.
1955-1965 The Scout Group membership climbed to over 100 in the baby-boomer years, putting considerable pressure on the original Scout Hut.
1968 The curent brick Scout Hall was opened on the sitereplacing the Scout Hut. It was built entirely from fundraising by the parents.
1973 Scouts Australia changed from a male-only organisation to one that was inclusive of girls as members. Although there was slow acceptance of this restructuring, but finally the number of members stabilised.
1978 A meeting room extension to the hall was added in 1978. It was used for a number of years by the City of Unley Rovers. Again, it was built by local fund raising. That meeting room is now known as the Venturer Den.
1978 - Times were achanging. The wider access to television, the demands of school sports training, and the increased demand on seconary student's time proved competitive to being a Scout. To counter this the Scout Group developed adventurous youth programs for activity types that youth could not get elsewhere. The range of activities has continued to expand.